This is a fun twist on the banana nut muffins. These banana muffins have white chocolate and macadamia nuts. Making these a fun surprise for those those that love banana nut muffins,
Since I am allergic to pecans it makes me experiment with other nuts to see how they taste. Since white chocolate and macadamia nuts go so well together already and bananas go well with but of those flavors too I figured they should all be smashed together. These are a great recipe for a quick grab and go breakfast.
In this recipe
Banana muffins are such a great little breakfast food and they are ready pretty quickly. One of the things that is necessary is ripened bananas. These are those ones that look about 5 seconds from going into the trash. The sugars have had a time to break down from complex carbohydrate to simpler sugars making the banana more sweet.
Sometimes you just cannot wait the 2-7 days for this to happen depending on where and how you store bananas for this to happen. I am sure that you have read many techniques that you can place it in a brown paper bag (which really does work), or with tomatoes, or bake in the oven at around 300 F for an hour or so. However I don’t have the patience sometimes.
You can ripen them in the microwave within just a few minutes. The important thing is to make sure that you poke holes in the skin all they way through to the fruit. Otherwise you might run into a little bit of a mess in your microwave. After you have poked your bananas with a fork place on a paper towel or a plate and heat for 30 seconds at a time to get to the ripeness you want. There you go easy as pie!
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment is the easiest way to mash the bananas. Just put them in the blender and mix on medium high for about a minute and they will be the perfect consistency. This makes the muffins a quick and easy treat for those on the go.
Banana Muffins with Macadamia Nuts
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Muffin pan
- Cupcake liners
- Mixing Bowl
- 1½ cups smashed ripe bananas about 3-4 medium to large bananas
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter unsalted, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts chopped
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or gas mark 4. Line the muffin pan with the cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment add the bananas (if not mashed) and mix on medium-high speed until mashed. Add the sugars and mix until combined. Add the egg, butter, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture. Once it is just combined add the macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips. Evenly divide the batter between the cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack.