These coffee cake muffins are a great way to start off the morning. With warming spices cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg these muffins are perfect with a cup of coffee.
Coffee cake and muffins. These two make a fabulous combination in this recipe. The best part is the streusel topping. By adding cardamom to the streusel the combination of all of the warming spices are perfect for a morning brunch or to grab when you are in the go.
In this recipe
This recipe calls for a larger than normal amount of baking powder. This will give a nice large rise to these muffins and help keep them light and fluffy. Due to this being the case it is important to make sure the cups of the muffin pan are not filled more than 2/3 to 3/4 from the top. These muffins will rise considerably.
Cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg are all considered warming spices. This category of spices provides a warming sensation along the tongue. They are also the spices that are normally associated with the holidays and pair well with the dishes made during that time. These are also the highly aromatic spices that fill your kitchen and house with their fragrance.
Check out the mix it up section for additional ideas for spice ideas to make it your own.
The streusel layer can be made in advance and placed in the refrigerator. This recipe will have some left over streusel topping. I place it in a jar and pop it in the fridge and then sprinkle it on other baked goods. You can use as little or as much as you would like of the topping for these muffins.
Mix it up
Here are some ideas if you would like to change up the streusel topping and make it your own.
- Use cinnamon and nutmeg instead of cardamom.
- Add a half a teaspoon of mace to the cardamom.
- Add the zest of an orange to the muffin mix and remove the nutmeg.
- Swap the cardamom out for any of these: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves, ground allspice.
Cardamom Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Muffin tin
- Food processor
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter unsalted, melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 6 tbsp butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or gas mark 5. Grease or line muffin pan.
- In the food processor pulse all of the streusel ingredients together until it has the consistency of irregular small pebbles. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix until evenly combined and the brown sugar doesn't' have many clumps.
- In another bowl mix the eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix until combined and pour into the muffin pan. Bake for 20 or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 min in the pan before removing.