These irresistibly soft peanut butter cookies are great to make with the entire family. These homemade cookies are quick and easy to make and are jam-packed with peanut butter flavor.
When I lived in Austin I had a buddy that loved peanut butter cookies. I would bring them to him every year for his birthday. One of the best parts of this recipe is that they are quick to make and you get to use your hands. This translates to great to make with kids.
In this recipe
Which kind of peanut butter do you prefer? This recipe can handle either creamy or chunky peanut butter. When going the route of chunky peanut butter then it is better to just flatten the cookies with the bottom of a flat glass instead of using a fork.
Beat the butter by itself first making sure it is smooth before adding the peanut butter. Be sure that they are beaten together well and evenly mixed. Then once the sugar is added you will have a great base for getting soft and chewy cookies that hold their shape well.
You can immediately make the balls of cookie dough. However I prefer to cool the dough off first. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, they will shape more easily and if you are rolling them in sugar they are easier to handle. Secondly, the dough warms up quickly so it will allow you to shape more cookies before the butter and peanut butter get too soft.
When making the imprints with the fork after you make the first impression dip the back of the fork in sugar. This will help with allowing the fork to easily separate from the cookie dough. Dip the back of the fork into a small bowl of sugar after every impression.
Otherwise, you can use the bottom of a glass to press the cookies if you prefer. Make sure to dip the bottom of the glass into the bowl of sugar to help prevent the cookie dough from sticking.
Irresistibly Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 2 tablespoon cookie scoop
- Lined sheet pan
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling rack
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar for rolling, optional
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, on medium-high speed, beat the butter until smooth. Add the peanut butter and beat until smooth.
- Add the sugars and continue to beat until evenly mixed. Add the eggs one at a time waiting a minute between the eggs. Add the vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture. Only mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Transferred to the mixing bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or gas mark 4.
- Using a cookie scoop roll out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. If you are rolling the dough in sugar then place on the lined sheet pan. Using a fork or bottom of a glass flatten the cookie dough. Dip the fork or glass bottom in sugar after each impression.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start getting darker in color. Allow to cool for 2 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.