Roasted corn, bacon, and chili powder make this corn salad a perfect side for any barbeque or as a light snack. This quick and easy salad is sure to please and have you going back for seconds.
Ever need a salad you can just throw together quickly that doesn’t seem like the same thing you always make? This corn salad is it. I love how quickly this comes together and bacon makes everything better. Every time I have made this salad people cannot get enough of it. If you like it spicy add a few jalapenos to it.
In this recipe
One of the keys to this recipe is to make sure the kernels are left alone to allow them to start to darken. It is ok to not stir them for a couple of minutes to allow this to happen. This recipe can be made with both fresh and frozen corn. If you are going to use frozen make sure and allow it to defrost and drain before you start cooking.
Getting whole kernels
There is a way to remove kernels from the cob if you don’t want to cut them off. This however is a bit more time consuming but you will end up with whole kernels instead of sliced ones. To do this cut the cob in half lengthwise. I like to cut between two rows of kernels if possible. Then submerge the half in a bowl of water and by using your thumbs separate the kernels from the cob.
This is one of the recipes where you want the bacon to be really crispy. One of the biggest reasons is that it will provide a nice little crunch. The other reason is that when it is in contact with the liquid from the tomatoes, cucumber and lemon juice it will soften a bit. If it isn’t crispy to begin with it will be really soggy. Also the flavor is more enhanced when crispy.
Making the corn salad
Since the corn is a pretty small I like to make sure that all of the other vegetables are cut about the same size. This will ensure that you get all of the flavors in one bite. I like to chop up all of the vegetables while the bacon and the corn is cooking to save time. This is also the time to add any additional flavors you would like. Here are a few ideas:
- Jalapeno, serrano, or Shishito peppers
- Chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- Feta or cubed mozzarella cheese
Looking for other salad ideas?
Pan Roasted Corn Salad with Bacon
- Cast iron skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups corn 4 medium ears kernels removed
- ¾ pound bacon chopped
- 1 avocado large, chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup cucumber chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- In the cast iron skillet on medium high, cook the bacon about 8 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Remove any bits that have stuck to the pan and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Add the corn, salt, pepper, and cook until it starts to darken and becomes fragrant, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients together and mix. Set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
- Mix the cucumber, avocado, corn, bacon, onion, cilantro, and tomatoes together. Toss with the dressing and serve.