Sweet with a hint of tartness this key lime pie is perfect for a summer day. With only 7 ingredients this simple recipe is bound to be a hit. When key limes are in season this easy to make pie will become a go to recipe.
Key lime pie is a dessert that I have been in love with since I was a teenager. It is such an easy to make dessert and a frequent request of mine. I have a buddy that I make this dessert for him for his birthday every year. It is one of his favorite desserts.
In this recipe
One of the best parts of the key lime pies is the filling is usually only three things: key limes, condensed milk, and egg yolks. This recipe packs an added key lime punch with the addition of the zest of the limes as well. It takes about 30-40 key limes to make produce the needed juice. You can also buy key lime juice but make sure it is not from concentrate. I prefer to use fresh lime juice if at all possible.
Making the key lime pie
When zesting the limes it is easier to do this before since they are so small. You will need the zest of about 10 limes to get all of the zest that you will need for the pie. Also at once the pie has been cooled and set add a little more zest for a little pop of color. With the lime juice and zest ready quickly whisk all of the ingredients to pour into the prepared crust.
Preparing the crust
In order to get a nice even crust a flat bottomed object with angles similar to the pie pan will help. If you have two of the same pie pans then that the best to get a nice and even crust. One of the other things to consider is to make sure that the crust cools before adding the filling. This will help with making sure the pie bakes evenly.
Checking for a wobble
Like cheesecake you will want to make sure that the filling is not completely set when you remove it from the oven. An easy way to tell is if the middle of the pie will wobble like Jell-O when the side of the pie is tapped. Then once removed allow it to come to room temperature before cooling in the refrigerator. This will keep the pie from splitting once it cols down. Also it is important to wait at least 2 hours for the pie to completely set.
Looking for other pie recipes?
The Best Key Lime Pie
- 9 in pie pan
- Large bowl
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment
- Piping bag
- Food torch
- Piping bag with tips (optional)
Graham cracker crust
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk 2 - 14 ounce cans, full fat
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs about 18 full sheet graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
Key lime filling
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 cup key lime juice fresh squeezed, optional
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons key lime zest
Making the Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, 177°C, or gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl mix the butter, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and graham crackers. Pour into the pie pan spreading evenly on the bottom and sides. On the center rack bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Making the Filling
- In a large bowl mix the egg yolks, lime juice, lime zest, and condensed milk until smooth and creamy.
- Pour key lime mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake for 15-20 minutes. To test the doneness of the pie tap the edge and the center should be barely wobbly.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Meringue Topping (Optional)
- In a stand mixer combine the egg whites and the rest of the sugar and whisk on high until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add you favorite piping tip to your piping bag and fill the bag to decorate.
- Use the torch as desired.