Red velvet meets chocolate chip cookies. What’s not to love? It is a match made in heaven with two types of chocolate chips inside. These are perfect for everyone that love a bit of chocolate.
Gimme all of the chocolate please! These cookies are jam packed with all kinds of it. What I love most about it is the fact that there are two different kinds of chips in this recipe. These soft cookies are great for a date night. They make enough that you don’t have to worry about sharing.
In this recipe
Chocolate! That is what is in this recipe. Chocolate and red food coloring. I always say that chocolate is made better with coffee. This is especially true with recipes like this one that have many different kinds of chocolate in them. Just that little hint of espresso makes all the difference.
The first thing that stands out about red velvet anything is the sheer amount of coloring that goes into it. This recipe calls for 1.5 teaspoons of the stuff. Also you will want to mix in the dye before adding the flour. This will make sure that all of the color is evenly distributed throughout. If you add the dye after the flour the cookies might have streaks in them.
This recipe calls for semi sweet and white chocolate chips. However based on the kinds of chocolate you like you can swap out for flavors that you like. these need to be mixed in just at the end and on low speed. This will help prevent overmixing and tough cookies.
It is important to make sure that all of the ingredients are at room temperature. This allows for a better mixture with the butter, cream cheese, and eggs. The next best part about this recipe is how big you want to make the cookies. The recipe calls for using a 2 tablespoon scoop but for larger cookies use a bigger scoop. These are really great with some ice cream.
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- 2 Lined sheet pan
- 2 tablespoon cookie scoop
- Mixing Bowl
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup Butter unsalted, softened
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp red food dye
- ½ tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or gas mark 4.
- In a bowl whisk the cocoa powder, flour, salt, espresso powder, and baking soda together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment add the butter and cream cheese. Beat on medium high until the mixture lightens. Add both sugars and continue to beat. Once the butter starts lightening again add the egg and egg yolk. Mix until combined and then add the vanilla food dye. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture until just combined. Then add the chocolate chips. Scoop the cookie dough onto the lined sheets. Bake both sheets pans at the same time rotating them halfway through. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.