Oven roasted artichokes are such a great side dish or appetizer. They are a quick, easy and make an eye-catching dish. Cut in half filled with herbs and garlic these artichokes will be gone in seconds.
Who can say no to a roasted artichoke? Filled with herbs and garlic and caramelized golden brown these make a fantastic appetizer, side, or snack. Accompanied with your favorite dipping sauce and you will have a quick favorite new recipe.
In this recipe
This recipe is all about the artichoke. They are cut in half to speed up their cooking along with developing that nice caramelization. Fill them with your favorite fresh herbs. Thyme and rosemary are the ones in this recipe however sage, tarragon, marjoram, oregano, and parsley are all great additions.
Choosing the right artichokes
When making this recipe it is important to be able to choose the best artichokes. Artichokes are a flower and so they older they get the more open they become. It is important to choose ones that are still closed. They should feel heavy and solid and if you squeeze them they should squeak. The squeaking part is my favorite. You want to avoid ones where the leaves have started to shrivel. dry, and split.
Making roasted artichokes
You will want to make sure you have a lemon handy for this pat. When you cut the artichoke in half you will scrape out the choke, the fluffy stuff in the middle that sites on top of the heart, you will want to gently squeeze one of the lemon halves and rub the cavity and cut sides with the lemon. This will keep it from oxidizing and turning brown.
One thing that will help when filling the artichokes is to put them on a sheet pan. Then place the baking dish on top of the artichokes and flip. This will help keep all of the herbs and spices in the cavity that you have carved out. Make sure that all of the artichokes fit within the baking dish before attempting.
Looking for additional side dishes?
- Baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 2 large artichokes stem removed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1½ tbsp fresh thyme
- ½ tbsp black pepper ground
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or gas mark 6.
- Cut the artichokes in half and scoop out the fluffy choke on the inside. Immediately brush some lemon juice across the inside and cut flesh to prevent browning. Repeat with the other 3 halves.
- Smash the garlic cloves and in a small bowl mix the rosemary, thyme, garlic and lemon zest. scoop equal amounts into the cavity of the artichokes and brush with half of the olive oil. Season the cut halves of the artichokes with half of the salt and pepper.
- Place the artichokes cut side down in the baking dish and brush the remaining olive oil on outside and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to roast for an additional 15 minutes or until the outside starts to crisp up.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.