Fudgy and gooey brownies are perfect with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream. These brownies flavored with espresso and a hint of cinnamon will satisfy even the biggest chocolate craving.
There is something so satisfying about a warm fudgy brownie with a large scoop of ice cream on top. These brownies are the perfect amount of fudgy while still holding their shape. By adding a little bit of cinnamon these brownies are sure to wow any chocolate lover.
In this recipe
There are three ingredients that make this recipe special. The butter, espresso powder and cinnamon. The cinnamon gives the chocolate a richer flavor, just like when it is added to hot cocoa. If you haven’t added cinnamon to hot cocoa when fall rolls around you will want to give it a try.
Coffee and chocolate are the best of friends. In almost all of my chocolate recipes I will add a little bit of espresso powder or brewed coffee to it. This is because coffee and chocolate enhance each other. They contain a lot of similar compounds that make them natural companions when cooking or baking. This is also why so make coffee drinks come with chocolate on top or a little piece on the side.
Browning the butter
This right here is the secret weapon in these brownies. While melted butter is normally used in brownies most recipes do not go the extra step. Trust me it is worth the little extra time. By browning the butter the milk solids inside will start to darken and take on a nutty and caramel flavor. With the addition of the espresso and cinnamon you will have a combination that will make you go back for more.
One pot - not bowl brownies?
Yes this brownie recipe is made in a pot. You can pour it into a bowl if you would like but you can make it in one pot. Once the butter has browned remove it from the heat and let the pot cool a little. Then add the sugars. It is ok for the pot to be warm but you don’t want it to be hot otherwise the eggs with cook. You want to mix everything with a spatula to prevent adding a lot of air to the brownies. This will help ensure the brownies stay fudgy.
Looking for additional chocolate recipes?
The Best Fudgy Brownies
- 8 x 8 baking dish
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped into chunks or chips
- ¾ cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F or gas mark 3. Grease and/or line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Over medium high heat melt the butter. Once the butter is melted continue to heat for another 2-3 minutes or until the milk solids start to turn brown. Make sure to stir with a spatula as the butter will foam. Remove from heat and let the saucepan cool.
- Using the spatula mix in the espresso powder and cocoa powder. Then add the eggs one at a time until they are just mixed in. Mix in the sugars, vanilla, and salt. Once everything that has been evenly mixed add the flour and mix until just combined. Try to eliminate any large lumps. Add the chopped chocolate and pour into the baking dish.
- Bake on the center rack for 45 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. You may want to test several spots as the melted chocolate might make it seem like it is uncooked. Allow to cool completely before serving.