Bourbon chicken wings have a rich sweet taste that will keep you coming back for more. Bourbon adds its own unique flavors and enhances the flavors of the wings. This straight-forward recipe is great for when you have a craving for wings.
Yes, I love cooking and baking with bourbon. I often find ways of incorporating it into some of my other recipes. This is one for chicken. When you make these you will be surprised how well this sauce goes on chicken. The best part however, is the fact that it takes less than an hour from start to finish to make these. Great for if you are in a hurry or as a party idea.
In this recipe
Like my gochujang wings these are baked chicken wings that are tossed in a sauce afterwards. For those of you like me and you want a little heat on your wings adding a jalapeno with the onion will give you the heat you are looking for.
What is good about this recipe is you don’t have to cut the onions and garlic all that finely. You can crush the garlic and roughly slice the onion. We are only trying to soften and brown these to help them flavor the sauce. Once the sauce has reduced to the proper thickness then strain out the vegetables. This will give you a nice smooth sauce to toss your wings in.
When cooking with alcohol especially wine, bourbon/whiskey, and tequila it is important to choose ones that you like the taste of to begin with. The cooking off of the alcohol is going to intensify the flavors that are already occurring in the alcohol. If you don’t like the taste beforehand, cooking will multiply the bad taste ruining your meal.
In order to get really crispy wings on all sides it is important to use a baking/cooling rack. This keeps the wings out of their fat and allows the skin the crisp up evenly everywhere. It is important to note that you will want to spray the baking rack first in order to prevent the wings from sticking when they are done baking.
Chicken Wings in Bourbon Sauce
- Large bowl
- Foil lined sheet pan
- Baking/cooking rack
- Fine mesh sieve
- 4½ lbs chicken wings cut into portions
- 1½ cups onion sliced
- ½ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or gas mark 7. Spray the baking rack with cooking spray and place in the foil lined sheet pan.
- Place the chicken wings on the baking rack and sprinkle the salt and pepper over each side. Bake for 40 minutes. The wings should be crispy and brown.
- While the chicken is cooking in a sauce pan, over medium high heat, heat the butter, onions, and garlic until the onions become clear, soften and then start to brown. Once the onions have cooked down add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Allow to reduce to about ⅓ of the original volume.
- Strain into a large bowl using a fine mesh sieve. Once the chicken is done place in the bowl and toss to coat. Reserve any left over sauce in a bowl to use for dipping.