Quick and easy to make these scallop tacos make for a great meal. Topped with a fresh mango salsa they are bursting with bright flavors, making this a recipes that will quickly become a favorite.
I have always liked this recipe since it is so easy to make. The salsa can be made earlier in the day and then all you have to do is sear the scallops. If they are made with street taco tortillas they are a perfect idea for a party or game night.
In this recipe
One of the best parts about this recipe is all of the fresh fruit that is used. The scallops are the star of the dish and the salsa is a great complement. When making the salsa you will want to make sure that the cuts of the tomato, avocado, and mango are roughly the same size and on the smaller side. This can be made ahead of time since the lime juice will help keep the avocado from browning. Just cover with some cling film and refrigerate.
Searing the scallops
Searing scallops is a fast and easy way to make a flavorful scallop. It is important to make sure that the pan and the oil are hot before you add the scallops. If you add the scallops to a cold or cool pan you will not texture you desire. The scallops would cook over a longer time before the sear would take place causing chewy or overcook scallops.
For this recipe it is important to use large sea scallops instead of the smaller ones. Once the pan and oil are hot take your seasoned scallops and place the widest flat part down on the pan and do not move them. Let them cook for about 2 minutes before using tongs to flip them to the opposite side and repeat the cooking time.
But do I have use scallops?
The answer here is no, you don’t have to. You an easily use shrimp or another light fish to go with this salsa just as well. However be aware that scallops aren’t going to keep long in the refrigerator later. Make sure to store them in an airtight container and finish within a couple of days. The same goes for other seafood as well.
Looking for other seafood recipes?
Scallop Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauté pan
- Cling film
- 2 lbs scallops large
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp black pepper ground
- 1 cup mango diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 2 tbsp shallots chopped
- 6 flour tortillas fajita size
Making the salsa
- In a large bowl mix all of the salsa ingredients together, cover with cling film, and set aside.
Searing the scallops
- In a sauté pan, on medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Season both sides of the scallops with the salt, pepper and scallops. Once the oil is hot place the scallops in the pan and do not disturb. Allow to cook for 2 minutes depending on the size. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, place on a plate, and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas, evenly split the scallops on each tortilla and top with the salsa.