These shrimp tacos are a perfect weeknight meal. They only take a few minutes to prepare and they are a quick and healthy meal. Plus who doesn’t love tacos?
I am a complete sucker for a good taco. While I will normally go for a soft taco every now and then I need a crunchy one in my life. There is a fair amount of chopping in the recipe however it only takes about 10 minutes of actual cooking time. Like sheet pan fajitas this is a great and healthy meal for meal prepping for the week.
Apples in shrimp tacos?
Yes what makes this recipe a little unique is the addition of the apples to the salsa. It is closer to pico de gallo than salsa. However blending apples doesn’t turn out well. The apples give this dish a nice and light flavor and a crisp texture.
What is nice about this salsa is the fact that the lime juice keeps the apples from oxidizing so it will still look great even after storage. The addition of the cotija cheese and avocado create a fun balance of flavors that is not normally found in a crunchy taco.
Mise en place (MEEZ ahn plahs) is French for “put in place” or “gather” which is your friend for this recipe. Simply put it is preparing all of your ingredients before you start to cook or bake. In the case of this recipe that is chopping the peppers, apples, and cilantro. By getting this ready first you will be able to save time later and your shrimp will be very hot when serving.
The shrimp only takes about 5 minutes to cook so once you start having everything within arm’s reach is very handy. now when it comes to cooking shrimp you only want to cook for a couple of minutes on each side. A great way to tell when the shrimp is done other than the opaque coloring is that the tail end of the shrimp will curl towards the head. If the tail has started to make a spiral shape curling over the head end of the shrimp they are over cooked.
Crunchy Lime Shrimp Tacos with Apple Salsa
- Sauté pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 6 taco shells
- ¼ cup cotija cheese crumbled
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lime zest about 1 lime
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Granny smith apple chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped finely
- ¼ cup jalapeño pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ⅓ cup avocado chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the salsa, cover and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat for 1-2 minutes on each side until the shrimp as turned opaque. Add the lime zest and juice and remove from heat.
- Place equal amounts of shrimp in all of the taco shells. Top with the salsa and cheese.