Chicken noodle soup is one of the ultimate comfort foods around. This easy and delicious recipe will make for a perfect meal on a cold evening. Toast a baguette for a hearty meal made in minutes.
I cannot think of a winter or a time that I was sick where I didn’t have some chicken noodle soup. It is still my go to when I am feeling under the weather to this day. It’s also a great healthy comfort food meal. The best part is that it is great for meal prep and lunch on the go for those that are busy.
In this recipe
The ingredient list for this recipe is pretty simple which is why it is so good. Carrots, onions, celery, chicken, noodles, and chicken stock make the foundation. What sets this recipe apart is how the ingredients are treated to help maximize their flavor.
The first thing that makes this dish special is the roasted chicken stock. By roasting the bones first and sautéing the vegetables the depth of flavor is great for this recipe. By making that recipe first you have all the chicken you need for this recipe. Plus that is what takes all the time for this recipe as the rest is pretty quick and easy.
The next part is the herbs that are used. I prefer oregano and rosemary for my soup. However you can use any herbs that you prefer such as, but not limited to, sage or thyme. Whatever herbs you use it is important to use a bit of butcher’s twine to tie them all together. This will make fishing them out at the end easier.
In my recipe I use orzo which is a rather small and about the size of rice. It is a personal preference to have a bunch of noodles in every bite. The pasta is up to you if there is a different shape or type you like please feel free to substitute.
Easy and Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup
- Large pot
- Foil lined sheet pan
- Potato peeler
- 8 cups roasted chicken stock
- 3 lbs chicken
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1½ cups celery chopped
- 1½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sprigs oregano
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp salt kosher
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or gar mark 6.
- On the foil lined sheet pan place all of the chicken and bake for 15-22 minutes or until done depending on the choice of meat.
- While the chicken is cooking add the oil, carrots, onion, and celery to a pot and cook until vegetables have softened. Add the stock and rosemary and oregano tied with butcher's twine and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the rosemary and oregano.
- In a saucepan cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Once the chicken is ready shred or cut add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and add to the soup.