Spicy and bold flavors make this roasted blackened chicken a welcome addition to your meal rotation. A few simple ingredients and you will have a hit with the whole family.
Roasting a chicken has been one of my favorite things for meal prep. It is quick and easy to prepare and within about an hour and half I have a full meal. This recipe makes a chicken with crispy skin and packs a little bit of heat.
In this recipe
One of the reasons I like this chicken recipe is that it uses only 5 ingredients, chicken, blackening seasoning, olive oil, garlic, and onions. Since there aren’t any other vegetables in this dish you can add additional ones like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and/or broccoli. When adding vegetables that don’t take a long time to roast add them closer to the end of the cooking time.
Now for those that like to meal prep or have a full house the best thing with roasting a chicken is you can do more than one at a time. Since two will easily fit on a sheet pan it is the perfect opportunity to have enough for a meal and then have plenty of left overs. This chicken makes a flavorful chicken salad, a great sandwich meat, or on top of a salad.
Making blackened chicken
One of the most important things is to make sure that the chicken doesn’t spend too much time covered. Foil will trap the steam inside and will not allow the skin to crisp up. If you are concerned with your chicken getting too dark use a small section of foil to just cover the chicken breast.
Another thing to make sure of is that the temperature of the breast reaches 165F. This is normally accomplished by cooking the chicken 20 minutes per pound. When adding vegetables like shown in the photos you can toss them in a little olive oil and blackening seasoning if you desire. I would caution about adding too much since the drippings from the chicken will add additional seasoning to the vegetables.
Looking for additional chicken recipes?
Whole Roasted Blackened Chicken
- Roasting pan or sheet pan
- 5 lbs whole chicken
- ⅓ cup blackening seasoning
- 1 onion large, sweet, cut into eighths
- 1 garlic whole head, sliced in half
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or gas mark 6.
- Add half of hte onion and the garlic to the cavity. Greate a paste with the blackening seasoning and olive oil then evenly spread the seasoning over the entire chicken. Place in roasting pan or on a sheet pan and bake. Place the rest of the onion on the roasting pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature of the chicken breast reaches 165°F or 74°C. The juices will run clear around the puncture site of the meat thermometer. Allow for the chicken to rest 10 minutes before slicing.