These teriyaki meatballs are jam packed full of flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. These Japanese styled meatballs are a great party dish.
A group of friends wanted to have a pot luck and I was stumped on what to bring. There were a lot of chicken dishes so I wanted to do something different. Lo and behold these came from that. I love these meatballs since they are great as an appetizer or just add some rice and broccoli and you have a nice little meal.
In this recipe
This recipe does have a lot of ingredients to it but the end result is well worth the work. The other cool thing is for those of you with children, or those that like to play with their food (your truly) this is a great recipe to get your hands dirty.
One of the important things about making meatballs is to make sure that everything is evenly mixed. There is nothing worse than getting a mouthful of breadcrumbs in the middle of a meatball. That isn’t a surprise that move people enjoy. The other reason is by working the meatball mixture to where a patty will start to stick to your hands makes for a great meatball.
The reason for grating the garlic and ginger is to make for an evenly flavored meatball. Personally I like to mix all of the ingredients other than the meat first. Then add the ground beef. I find that it makes it easier to blend. Also using a scoop will make sure all of the meatballs are the same size. Then all you will need to do is roll them with your hands into little balls.
When making the glaze it is important to make the cornstarch and water slurry before adding it to the sauce. If you add cornstarch to a warm liquid without mixing it into a slurry you will get lots of little lumps. Once those happen the sauce will not thicken and you will need to strain out all of the lumps. The slurry helps prevent this from occurring. Once the sauce is ready toss is in a large bowl with the meatballs and BAM you are ready to enjoy!
Glazed Sesame and Teriyaki Meatballs
- 2 tbsp scoop
- Lined sheet pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced or grated
- ½ tbsp ginger minced or grated
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
Sesame Teriyaki Glaze
- ¾ cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp water
- ½ tbsp ginger grated or ground
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or gas mark 6.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients until mixed evenly. Using a scoop portion the meatballs onto the sheet pan. Gently roll each portion into a ball and bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs start to brown.
- While the meatballs are baking heat all of the glaze ingredients except the water and cornstarch in a saucepan and bring to a boil. While waiting the sauce to boil create a slurry with the water and cornstarch. Once the sauce is boiling add the cornstarch slurry and cook until it has thickened.
- Transfer the meatballs to a large bowl and pour the glaze over them. Toss or stir to coat. Garnish with additional thinly sliced green onions and sesame seeds.