Roasted sesame broccolini is a quick and easy side dish that is perfect for a weekday meal. The sesame seeds and ginger add a unique flavor that makes this broccolini special.
Roasted broccolini is a great side dish and so quick and easy to make. The toasted sesame seeds and ginger will make the pickiest of eaters enjoy these. I love making large batches of this because it is great for meal prep.
In this recipe
This recipe is all about the broccolini. With just a few other ingredients this recipe will come together quickly. This recipe calls for ginger powder but fresh ginger can be used as well. For a little extra kick add some chili oil if you like some heat. The ingredients phot includes the chili oil.
Broccoli vs Broccolini
One of the biggest differences between broccolini and and broccoli is their size. Broccolini has longer thinner stalks and looser packed florets. You might hear broccolini called baby broccoli however it isn’t a juvenile version of broccoli but a hybrid of regular broccoli and a Chinese varietal. Because the stalks are more tender and the florets aren’t nearly as packed together the cooking time for broccolini is much less than broccoli.
Prepping for roasting
Broccolini has small thin leaves that run up the length of the stalk. You will want to pull these off. If left on while roasting these leaves will burn and could change the flavor of the broccolini. You do not need to trim the stalk too much however if the bottom is drying out you will want to remove that part. It will cause that part of the stalk to become tough and unpleasant to eat.
It's roasting time
One of the biggest differences when roasting this compared to broccoli is the considerably shorter cooking time. It will only take about 20 minutes to cook the broccolini. Another thing to watch out for is that the florets can burn quickly. In order to prevent this flip the broccolini about halfway through cooking.
Looking for other side dishes?
Roasted Sesame Broccolini
- Lined sheet pan
- Small bowl
- Small sauté pan
- 2 lbs broccolini washed, leaves removed
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili oil optional
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F or gas mark 5.
- In a small bowl mix the sesame oil, chili oil if using, salt, and ginger together. Place the broccolini on the lined sheet pan and pour the oil mixture over the broccolini and toss to coat. Sprinkle ⅓ of the sesame seeds on the broccolini. The broccolini should be in one layer on the sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes turning the broccolini halfway through.
- While the it is roasting add the remainder of the sesame seeds to a sauté pan and heat on medium high heat stirring occasionally to toast the sesame seeds.
- Once the broccolini is done sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.