A one skillet meal that is perfect for those that don’t want to clean a lot of dishes. This Greek chicken is topped with a feta sauce that is blended to creamy goodness. Whether served on the side or smothering the chicken this recipe is sure to be a hit.
There is something to be said about a happy accident recipe. I was making my Greek chicken but I normally use Greek yogurt in the marinade. Well once I got started cooking I realized I was out of Greek yogurt. I know I know rookie mistake but still. So I went through my refrigerator and decided to try out feta. Instead of making a marinade I decided to braise the chicken. I haven’t looked back since.
In this recipe
The combination of ingredients make for a wonderful combinations of flavors.
White Wine: You will want to use a dry white wine like Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc. Using a wine like Chardonnay with its oaky flavors may cause the dish to taste bitter. Wines with high sugar content will cause additional caramelization and make the dish considerably more sweet.
Feta Cheese: It is better using a block of feta but crumbles will work for this recipe as well.
Chicken Breast: Bone in chicken will impart more flavor than the boneless option but both work well in the recipe. The same with the skin. Keeping the skin will make it crisp up but this recipe works just as well.
Shallots: These are little more mild and sweeter than onions however an onion will work just as well in this recipe.
A one pan meal
One of my favorite kinds of meals are those that can be made in a single pan. One of the things that you want to make sure of is that you have a pan that can go from the stove to the oven. A cast iron skillet works well as long as it is big enough. A 12 inch pan should do the trick. Another good thing about using a pan that can go from stove to oven is that you can put in on your grill so you don’t even have to heat up your kitchen.
Making Greek chicken
The first thing that you want to do is to make sure that you sear the chicken thighs on each side. While this does not lock in any of the juices the searing will add a richer flavor at the end. Once they have been seared remove them from the pan, place on a plate, and reduce the heat. The chicken will not be cooked and that is ok. Then you will cook the shallots in the same pan with the oregano and olive oil. This will remove the bits at the bottom of the pa as well.
Making the sauce
Once the shallots have softened then you can add the liquid and olives to the pan. Then add the chicken back in and cook for 25 minutes. Once the chicken is done you will want to remove the chicken and olives. From there you can add the feta and remaining drippings into a blender. Start on low and gradually increase the speed. It is important to make sure you use wine that you really like. If you use wine you don’t like those flavors will become more intense in the sauce.
Looking for additonal chicken recipes?
Greek Chicken with Creamy Feta Sauce
- 12 inch skillet
- 4 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp shallots chopped
- 2 tbsp oregano fresh, chopped
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, 190°C, or gas mark 5.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a 12 inch skillet on high heat sear the chicken on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. The chicken will not be cooked. Remove from the pan, place on a plate, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the olive oil, shallots and oregano. Cook until the shallots have softened and the bits from the chicken have come off the bottom of the pan. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine, and kalamata olives. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the feta. Bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165°F or 74°C.
- Remove the chicken and olives. Pour the remaining the liquid and feta into a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve with the baked chicken thighs.