Flavorful, juicy, and jam-packed with flavor this spinach and mushroom stuffed chicken breast is perfect week night dinner. This recipe comes together pretty easily and is sure to be a hit.
There is always something special about a stuffed chicken breast. It doesn’t matter if it is wrapped in bacon or not but it will always be an impressive meal. This is an easy go to for a family meal or date night. The best part is if there are extras you will have a nice little lunch the next day.
In this recipe
This recipe has all the good stuff, chicken, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. The spinach and mushrooms are cooked before stuffing the chicken and mixed with the cheese. This makes it easy to fill the pockets in the chicken. Then wrapping it in bacon holds everything altogether. Not to mention the bacon will impart extra flavor and help keep the chicken breast juicy.
Cutting the pocket
One of the big thing you will want to do is cut a pocket into the chicken breast. Now there are two ways to cut into a breast to make a pocket. The first is to hold one side of the chicken breast and slice about 3/4 of the way through the breast. It should be able to open like a book. Keep the small end in tact and don’t slice through it. At this point the chicken can be pounded more thinly if the slices are uneven.
However my favorite way is to make a small incision into the side of the breast and then take the knife and slice into the breast from the small hole. You will want to make sure you don’t slice all the way through but create a cavity inside the chicken with a small hole remaining. This will help keep the stuffing from coming out especially if you don’t wrap the chicken in bacon.
Making the stuffed chicken breast
You will want to take a fourth of the filling and place it as far inside the chicken breast as possible. Once the chicken starts cooking it will contract and try to push out off of the stuffing as it shrinks. This will help keep it from coming out between the bacon. Depending on the amount of filling there may be some that does come out.
That's a wrap
To help keep the bacon from unwinding during baking the easiest way to wrap it is to make sure all of the ends of bacon are on the bottom of the chicken. To do this place several strips of bacon in overlapping layers then place the top of the chicken breast face down on the bacon. Wrap each end around the chicken making sure each end stays facing you. Then turn the whole chicken breast over. For photos check out my bacon wrapped pork loin.
Looking for other chicken recipes?
Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Foil lined sheet pan
- Sauté pan
- Baking rack
- 2 pounds chicken breasts about 4 breasts
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced, stalks removed
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ pound bacon
- 1 tbsp garlic 2-3 cloves, sliced
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, 190°C, or gas mark 5.
- Using the sauté pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the spinach, salt, garlic, and pepper. Cook until the spinach has wilted. Add the cream cheese and mix until it evenly coats the mushrooms and spinach. Remove from the heat and stir in the rest of the cheese and set aside.
- Slice a pocket into each chicken breast and fill with ¼ of the spinach and mushroom mixture.
- Wrap each breast in about 5 slices of bacon and place the seam side of the bacon onto the baking rack. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the largest part of the chicken reads 165°F or 74°C.