These cranberry orange muffins are a great way to start your day. They have a bright and tart flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. Topped with a little turbinado sugar makes these perfect with a cup of coffee.
One of the best things about these muffins is you don’t need to only make them in the fall and winter. They are great all year round. Frozen cranberries work just as well in this recipe as fresh ones.
Why cranberry orange muffins?
The better question is why not? For those that don’t like sweet muffins these are the perfect solution. The cranberries provide a nice tartness that goes well with the orange juice and zest. Since cranberries are on the tart/sour side it brightens the flavor of the muffins.
There is a lot of acid in these muffins with the amount of orange juice. This will cause the baking powder to activate and very quickly. Since the rising starts the moment you finish mixing the ingredients you might notice air bubbles by the time you start filling your muffin pan. You only want to make sure you don’t let the batter sit for too long.
When adding the cranberries you want to add them in at the very end and very gently mix them in. Keeping the cranberries from bursting before baking will help keep them from sinking. This is because they have a small pocket of air that will make them float.
How can I mix it up?
To make this your own you can add all kinds of things. Here are some additional suggestions.
- You can add 3/4 cups of chopped chocolate. White chocolate works very well.
- Add 3/4 cups of chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts.
- Include additional spices like cardamom, ginger, or even a dash of turmeric.
Looking for other cranberry recipes?
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Muffin pan
- Muffin/Cupcake liners
- Mixing Bowl
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup orange juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ½ tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups cranberries
- turbinado surgar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375F or gas mark 5. Line or grease the muffin pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the salt, flour, and baking powder. Whisk to combine evenly and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl whisk the eggs until evenly combined then add the melted butter, sugars, orange and lemon zest, and orange and lemon juices. Whisk until all is evenly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and use a spatula to mix. Be sure to mix until just combined and do not overmix. Add the cranberries and gently fold them in.
- Pour the mix into the muffin pan and top with turbinado sugar if desired and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.