These tequila lime shrimp are a perfect quick and easy meal. Marinated in tequila, lime and agave then grilled to perfection. They make a great meal for those on the go.
Once it is warm enough to turn on the grill these shrimp are some of the first things that I like to make. They are done in about 30 minutes and they taste amazing. Serve them with some fresh grilled veggies and you have a quick and easy meal that is not only healthy but tasty. They also taste great with a margarita if I do say so myself.
In this recipe
The best part of this recipe is that it doesn’t take all that many ingredients. Just some spices, the shrimp and the tequila and you are ready to go.
Agave syrup: will provide so flavor and compliment the tequila nicely. Can be substituted with honey if you don’t have any.
Tequila: it is important to use a tequila that is flavorful and the darker the more intense some of the flavors will be. A silver will work as well too which is what you see in the photos.
Tajin: especially with lime is the perfect seasoning for the shrimp. It is perfectly balanced to complement the lime and tequila.
Soak the Skewers
If you are using bamboo skewers you will want to make sure that you soak the skewers for at least 20 minutes. This will make sure that they don’t burn or catch on fire. While the shrimp will not take long too cook if the skewers burn then they will cause the shrimp to taste burnt as well as burning the shrimp on the outside.
Don't marinate for too long
Lime juice is highly acidic and if they shrimp marinate for too long then they will react with the juice similar to ceviche. When they cook this will turn them rubbery and firm. You will only need to marinate them for about 15-20 minutes. When you take them out of the marinade, they might already be pink and that is ok as it is the shrimp is reacting to the acid in the juice.
Grilling tequila lime shrimp
Once you have placed all the shrimp on the skewers, I like 6 per skewer, then you are ready to grill. Once you start grilling they will cook really quickly. You will only need about 2-5 minutes per side. If you are using indirect heat you will be closer to 5 minutes but over direct heat they will cook in about 2 minutes per side. If you want some additional flavor cook the marinade until it is reduced by half and brush on the shrimp.
Looking for other shrimp recipes?
Grilled Tequila Lime Shrimp
- Mixing Bowl
- Skewers bamboo or metal
- Saucepan optional
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled, deveined
- ½ cup tequila
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon tajin
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the skewers in water and set aside.
- In a bowl add the paprika, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, tequila, onion powder, garlic powder, agave syrup, and tajin. Mix together and add the shrimp. Cover and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the grill to 425°F or 220°C.
- Place the shrimp on the skewers passing through the head and the tail to keep them secure. Brush each side of the shrimp with the avocado oil. Grill the shrimp 2-5 minutes on each side until the shrimp are pink and firm. They should make a C shape and not an O shape.
- Remove from the heat.
Make the sauce (optional)
- In a saucepan bring the marinade to a boil and cook until it has reduced in volume by half. Brush over the cooked shrimp.