These crispy baked chicken tenders are fast and easy meal. The chicken is flavors with herbs and spices and then covered in Panko and parmesan cheese. These are great alternative to their fried counterparts.
I have a buddy, and when we were hanging out one day he was like lets make some chicken strips for dinner that aren’t fried. That sounded good to me especially if they stayed crunchy. That is where this recipe came from. This is by far not the first recipe of this kind but it has always been a favorite of mine. The best part is that it takes about 30 minutes to make.
In this recipe
This recipe is all about this chicken. I prefer to use the whole chicken breast and slice mine the way I like it. I have found that it is cheaper to do it this way for the same amount of meat. Now there is nothing wrong with getting it already sliced. I am all for saving time in the kitchen in order to enjoy it elsewhere.
One of the most important things is to season the chicken first. Yes seasoning the breadcrumb mixture is nice to add a little flavor but it will get lost in all of the breading. My suggestion is to mix all of the herbs and spices together. Then if you want to season the breadcrumbs then divide in half. Use half to season the chicken and the other half to season the breadcrumb mixture.
Shake it up
Never being a fan of dredging chicken through flour I toss all of the seasoned chicken into a bag and then add the flour to it. I add a little little flour at a time because I just want a light dusting of flour. Then I close and shake the bag until they are evenly and lightly coated.
No more messy fingers
Here is my trick to keep for keeping your hands clean of flour paste. Make sure you have a wet hand and a dry hand. By using one hand to dip the chicken into the egg and place on the breadcrumbs and the other to coat and pat the breadcrumbs on the chicken you will keep both hands clean.
Getting crispy chicken tenders
The final step is to spray your baking rack well with cooking spray. This will help release the chicken tenders once they are cooked. The reason for the baking rack is to allow air movement under the chicken tenders as well as on top. This prevents the bottom from getting soggy and sticking to the pan. It also makes sure you have an even crunch all the way around the strips.
What other chicken recipes?
Crispy Herb Baked Chicken Tenders
- Lined sheet pan
- Baking and cooling rack
- Plastic bag
- 2 lbs chicken breast sliced into strips
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or gas mark 7. Spray the baking rack with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and thyme in a bowl and then divide in half. Use half to season all of the chicken strips. Add them to the plastic bag and pour in the flour. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken evenly with flour.
- Scramble the eggs in a bowl. On the plate combine the rest of the spice mixture, parmesan, and breadcrumbs. Dip each of the floured chicken strips into the egg to lightly coat and then cover with the breadcrumbs, gently press to make as much adhere as possible and then place on the sprayed baking rack. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Once removed from the oven transfer to a serving dish while still hot.