These chocolate chip M&M cookies are soft and chewy and packed with all kinds of chocolate. They are the perfect cookie for every chocolate lover.
You can never go wrong with a chocolate cookie and even better when it is a chocolate chip cookie. There is a reason it is a consistent favorite. These cookies take the chocolate factor up to the max, but you will not be disappointed. One of my favorite parts of this recipe is that you can use these cookies to celebrate any time of year. All you need to do is swap out the holiday-colored M&Ms and you are good to go for every major holiday. These cookies are so good you will find they disappear quickly.
In this recipe
There are several kinds of chocolate in this recipe, but it is a pretty straight forward with a bunch of ingredients that are already in your pantry and refrigerator.
Cocoa powder: this is going to give the cookie its chocolate flavor.
Espresso powder: this is going to help amplify the flavors of the chocolate in the cookies.
Chocolate chips: you can use any good chips that you like whether it is white or bittersweet.
Don’t overmix the dough
One of the pitfalls with cookies is that you can easily overmix as there aren’t many liquid ingredients. If this happens you can cause excessive gluten development leading to dense and chewy cookies. You can also mix in too much air which will cause the cookies to go flat. The best way to avoid this is just to mix the dry ingredients in on a low speed until they are just combined and scrape the bowl frequently.
Chilling the dough
Chilling cookie dough does some wonderful things to it. The first is that it will help relax the gluten that is in the dough yielding a more tender cookie. Another thing that it does is gives all of the flour time to hydrate. This will allow for the cookie to spread evenly and give you that perfect shape you are looking for. Finally, it also allows for flavor development. Allowing the cookie dough to rest gives the chocolate and espresso a chance to mix well and fully complement each other.
Making the M&M cookies
One of the important things when baking cookies is to make sure that you rotate them halfway through baking. This will make sure that the cookies cook evenly. Also, you will want to try and avoid opening the door too often. By opening the oven too often you will let the heat out causing the cookies to heat unevenly. Finally, you will want to allow the cookies to cool on the sheet pan before moving it to the cooling rack. These cookies will be very soft out of the oven and this time will allow them to set before you transfer them.
Looking for other chocolate recipes?
Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
- Cookie scoop
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Lined sheet pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup M&Ms
- ½ cup butter unsalted, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, 177°C, or gas mark 4.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, espresso powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder and whisk to mix evenly and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until the mixture begins to lighten.
- Add the egg and beat for another minute and then add the vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and add all the flour mixture. Mix until just combined add all of the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the M&Ms if you want to add some on top later. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Using a cookie scoop roll each scoop into a ball and place on the lined sheet pan. Lightly press the remaining M&Ms into the tops of the cookies. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until the edges have set.
- Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to allow the cookies to cool completely.