Light and easy to make is the best way to describe this key lime cheesecake. This no bake recipe takes a lot of the work out of making a cheesecake while keeping the nice rich texture.
I know that I am a big advocate for using the oven but when summer hits, especially here in Arizona with days over 110 degrees, I don’t want to turn on my oven and heat up the house. Still I want my cheesecake and especially one made with key limes. This recipe became the compromise I made myself and get the best of both worlds.
In this recipe
What makes this recipe a no bake situation is the lack of eggs in the filling. The sweetener for this recipe is the condensed milk instead of sugar. This is going to make this dessert a little less sweet than if sugar were to be used. If you would like a sweeter cheesecake only use one can of condensed milk and add a half of a cup of sugar instead. To make sure you have a nice key lime flavor the zest of the limes will used as well as the juice.
Making the key lime cheesecake
When making the filling you will want to make sure that once you beat the cream cheese you will want to slowly add the liquid ingredients. Make sure that you are constantly scraping the sides of the bowl. This will help prevent the cheesecake filling from creating small lumps. Once all of the liquid has been incorporated if there are any solid lumps of cream cheese it may be difficult to get rid of them. A whisk attachment can be helpful for this if you do it before adding the whipped cream.
Adding whipped cream
As there are no eggs in this recipe there needs to be something to help keep the cheesecake light and prevent it from becoming too dense. By adding whipped cream we can use that to add air back into the filling and keep it nice and light. To do this beat the cream until it is stiff. Then once the rest of the filling is complete gently fold in the whipped cream. Try to avoid slamming or shaking the filling. Also try to avoid overmixing, mixing too vigorously, or using a stand mixer for this part.
A long chill
Since there is no baking for this recipe it needs to be chilled for a very long time. The crust will have already been frozen for at least 15 minutes before adding the filling. However it is best to let the filling set for at least 6 hours but overnight is the best. This allows for the whole cheesecake to firm up. If you don’t give ample time the cheesecake might hold its shape be the inside will still be runny. If also might not come away from the sides of the pan very well.
Looking for other cheesecake recipes?
No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake
- Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- 9" or 10" springform pan
- Parchment paper
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs regular or chocolate
- 7 tbsp butter unsalted, melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 24 oz cream cheese softened, 3 - 8oz blocks
- 2⅔ cups sweetened condensed milk about 1½ - 14 oz cans
- ½ cup key lime juice about 20 key limes
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Line the bottom of the spring form pan with parchment paper. You can line sides as well if desired.
- In a mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, salt, cinnamon, and butter and mix until combined. Pour this into the spring form pan and pack down and up the sides depending on the size of the spring form pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is freezing pour the heavy cream into the blow of the stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment mix on high until the cream forms stiff peaks. Pour into a cleaned mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of the stand mixer. Using a paddle attachment on medium high speed beat until light. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the condensed milk. Add the lime juice and zest and increase the speed to medium high and mix until light.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cheesecake filling and pour into the springform pan. Please in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours but better if overnight.
- To release run a toothpick or sharp knife around the inside edge of the springform pan. If you lined the sides with parchment then gently peel the sides off.
- Top with additional sweetened whipped cream if desired.